Windows 10 sets several default programs, which we find people often do not want:
- Microsoft Edge as the web browser
- Microsoft Edge as the pdf viewer
- Microsoft Mail as the email ‘app’
It’s easy to change these – see instructions below.
What can happen is that you change them and then they get reset back. This can be for several reasons:
- You install a software program that sets defaults for programs it accesses – for example zipping software and image software. So think when you install these software programs before you click OK.
- Windows resets/removes a file association because an application is no longer compatible – so keep all your applications updated with the latest patches and installs.
- The program you prefer updates a registry key and then Microsoft marks the key as corrupted – not a lot you can do about this one.
- Ensure you are logged on as an administrator user
- Click on the Windows icon
- Select Settings
- Select Default Apps
- Select the app you want to change and then select the program from the list shown that you ant to be default.
- If the program is not shown in the default apps list, scroll down and select Choose default applications by file type.
- Find the file type you want (for example .pdf) and change to the application you prefer: